When it comes to your gutters, moving water where it’s supposed to go — away from your home — should be a top priority. At Carefree Gutters, that’s what we’ve been doing for more than 20 years. Using the K-Guard Leaf-Free Gutter System, we meet the needs of our customers in Hampton Roads, Richmond, and surrounding areas.
While the traditional above-ground gutter drain is a common option, underground gutter drains are another alternative that may not be on your radar. Let’s dive into underground gutter drains and all they entail.
What Are Underground Gutter Drains?
Connecting directly to your gutter system, underground drains allow water to flow from your gutters through the downspout into the underground drain and away from your home. Based on the length of underground drain you choose to install, an advantage of underground drains is that they can extend to the street, directing your water further toward a street drain. The key to effective underground gutter drains is making sure they are installed at a proper angle to prevent water from returning to your home.
Steps to Installing an Underground Gutter Drain System
Main components of underground gutter drain system installation include:
- Mark the line: You must determine where your trench line will go in your yard.
- Dig the trench: Once you’ve determined where you want your trench to be, you can dig the trench. Make sure you take good measurements and only dig as wide as you need – you don’t want to tear up your yard too much! Be careful to note any gas lines (call 811!) before you dig.
- Install pipes and elbows: There are two main pieces when it comes to underground gutter drain systems: the waterproof drain pipe (most common types include PVC and polyethylene) and the elbow connecting the pipe to your downspout. You can use different lengths of pipe.
- Connect your downspouts: You want to ensure that your downspouts are well-connected to your underground gutter drain. Improper installation of this step could lead to leaks, water buildup, and foundation issues that could be costly to replace.
- Fill the trench: You can use the same dirt or new dirt to refill your trenches and re-landscape your yard. Be sure that your pipes are no longer visible and use enough dirt to prevent any spotty areas in your yard.
It’s crucial to be sure the above steps are done carefully and by an expert, so you don’t put your property at risk of costly damage.
Advantages of Underground Gutter Drains
Underground gutter drains, when properly installed, can have many advantages over traditional gutter drains, primarily in the curb appeal and lawn maintenance aspects. If you spend significant time and money making sure your yard looks stunning, then a large gutter drain on top of your yard could be an eyesore that you don’t want. Using the underground system can provide a better aesthetic to your yard and increase your curb appeal and resale value when it comes time to consider selling your home.
Another advantage is lawn maintenance. With an underground gutter drain, gone are the days where you have to worry about hitting your drain with your lawnmower or accidentally disconnecting it when you move it out of the way to mow. With underground gutter drains, your lawnmower can mow as normal without interfering with the system. An added benefit? You don’t have to worry about tripping over those above-ground downspouts anymore!
How Our System Works with Underground Gutter Drains
One major disadvantage of an underground gutter drain is that without proper installation, your underground system could be easily clogged. Like an above-ground system, you want to avoid leaves, gravel, and other debris clogging up your drains. But unlike an above-ground system, noticing a clog (and cleaning it out!) is more difficult. That’s where Carefree Gutters can help with our one-time gutter solutions system.
What Sets Our System Apart
- The Carefree Gutters system includes the gutters AND covers. Other systems often just provide covers to put over your existing gutters, but our system includes both. This is the best for your investment but also ensures that your gutters and covers work seamlessly together.
- We don’t interfere with your roof. Our system uses high-strength hangers, hung at intervals along the gutter line. Since these hangers attach to the fascia and not the roof, your roof warranty won’t be impacted. Additionally, you won’t have to worry about your roof being affected by the additional weight of the gutters.
- Our gutters hold more water. Because our gutters are bigger than traditional systems, they can hold more water, up to a minimum of 22” per hour! Especially helpful to withstand heavy Virginia rains.
- No clogs. Guaranteed. We promise that our system will not clog, allowing only water into your gutters – the way that it should be. No clogs in your gutters mean no clogs in your underground gutter drain. A win-win for your home and your pocketbook.
Carefree Gutters is family-owned and operated. We care about providing the best solutions to your family because of how we run our business. We provide great service and an unmatched gutter experience to Richmond, Virginia Beach, Ashland, Hampton, and many surrounding areas. Learn more and connect with us for a quote!